Let’s not just celebrate the men we love in June (Father’s Day is coming up!) but let’s nurture and take care of them too! With the combination of National Men’s Health Week June 14-20 and Alzheimer’s & Brain Awareness Month in June, too, it’s the perfect time to talk BRAIN HEALTH.
Men’s brains age faster than women’s, appearing to be three years older than women’s brains of the same chronological age. So are you doing everything you can do for optimal brainpower? Keeping cognitive functions sharp is not entirely out of your hands. Here’s a breakdown of some things to do for better brain health for you – and for the ones you love too!
Here are the facts:
- One in three seniors dies from Alzheimer’s Disease or another form of dementia
- Alzheimer’s deaths have increased 145% between 2000 and 2017
There is not a cure, there are currently medications that can help relieve symptoms as well as slow down the progression of dementia. Lots of research is being done to find breakthrough new medicines.
It’s important not to feel powerless. Take action NOW with five things you can start doing to help stay in tip-top brain shape.
- Get a cognitive check-up as you age. Make a note of potential symptoms such as memory loss, having a hard time recognizing loved ones, problems with communicating, or doing everyday activities. Share this information with your doctor. Remind the men in your life to see their doctor. According to menshealthmonth.org, Men do not see physicians for a physical exam nearly as often as women. Early intervention can make a difference.
- Make good lifestyle choices. One study states that up to one-third of Alzheimer’s cases worldwide can be attributable to the presence of seven potentially modifiable risk factors that include physical inactivity, smoking, midlife hypertension and obesity, and depression. Protect your brain with a good diet and exercise – the Mediterranean diet is highly touted as a brain-healthy way to eat. Stay socially engaged with friends, and challenge yourself to keep learning and trying new hobbies and activities. Not only are these activities good for your brain but your overall mental health as well.
- Get plenty of sleep. Poor sleep has been associated with higher levels of Alzheimer’s-related proteins. So good sleep habits are essential. Studies have shown that people who slept six hours or less per night in their 50s and 60s were more likely to develop dementia later in life. A simplistic way to look at it: memory consolidation – the process of preserving key memories and discarding excessive information – takes place during stages of your sleep cycle, so it’s crucial not to skip out on a good night’s sleep too often!
- Make sure you are on top of health problems like diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. Overall, health affects brain health too. For example, high blood pressure causes a great deal of strain on the arteries over time. Narrowing of the arteries can happen in the brain, causing a lack of essential nutrients and oxygen. This can damage brain cells and prevent them from functioning correctly. Taking care of overall health has a direct correlation to your brain wellness.
- Supplements are a popular choice for adults looking to fight memory loss. Nupeutics Health’s natural science-backed cognitive boosting supplements include Mind Master, which has shown real results in helping support brain function.
What’s in our Brainpower supplement?
Mind Master is a wildcrafted, plant-based formula that includes natural ingredients that scientists have found beneficial for the brain to stay focused and on tasks.
It helps with:
This natural brain function enhancer is a proprietary blend designed to improve the clarity of thought, focus, motivation and increase cognitive performance. It includes:
- Lion’s Mane-this potent mushroom has been shown to increase cognitive function. It also possesses neuroregenerative properties that enhance the production of Nerve Growth Factor (NGF) while boosting cerebral blood flow.
- L-Theanine-this amino acid has been known to help sharpen memory and cognition.
- Studies have also shown that it works by relaxing, without causing a sedative effect.
- Alpha GPC or Alpha glycerylphosphorylcholine is a precursor to cell membrane formation and phospholipid metabolism. Studies have shown it to be effective for Alzheimer’s disease, stroke, dementia caused by reduced blood flow to the brain (vascular dementia), memory, thinking skills, and age-related memory loss. It is neuroprotective, anti-aging, and may help with some mood disorders.
- Bacopa Monnieri is a natural cognitive enhancer and potent neuroprotector that works to enhance memory and decrease anxiety while balancing neurotransmitters and boosting cerebral blood flow.
- Guta Kola has been shown to improve brain energy metabolism, help calm anxiety and increase the production of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDRF). This anti-aging factor can help improve memory, thinking, and focus.
- Cats Claw is an anti-inflammatory and neuroprotective vine that help increase Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor (BDNF), soothe neurotransmitters, and affect serotonin receptors. It is a calming, anti-aging natural ingredient that helps improve memory and manage pain and neurodegenerative conditions.
If you are looking for the gift that will be MOST beneficial to dad this Father’s Day, check out the verified quality and science-backed natural supplements that Nupeutics has to offer. Helping the ones we love live full healthy lives is the best gift to give!
Follow Nupeutics Blogs to find out the latest about Wellness on topics like Hormone Health, Detox & Gut Health, Immunity, Brainpower, and Inflammation.